Monday, May 31, 2010

The full harvest moon festival

Actually, I don't know completely our holiday during the spring/summer in Korea. I only remember our independent day on 1st of the March but I think it's not interesting day to me. There is not great celebration, so I would like to introduce my favorite holiday which is the full harvest moon festival. The festival is on the 15th day in August as a lunar calender. it is very similar to the Canada thanksgiving holiday. We get three days off, so sometimes the days continue past the weekend. We could spend five days off. Usually, my family visits our home town to meet father's parents and relatives. At that time, the highway is jammed because this festival is the most important of all Korean holidays. During this holidays, we pay respect to our living relatives and visit the graves of my ancestors to thank taking care of our harvest. When I was a child, I was really excited to go to meet father's relatives in spite of traffic jam because they gave me great gifts or small cash for good memories at home town. However, now I realize why this holiday is important to Korean because this holiday is not only with a family get-together, but also give thanks for their blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! same as Chia, we call it the Middle Autumn Day. We eat mooncakes. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important for every culture to have holidays like this. In Canada, we usually get together with our families on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

    Corrections: "I would like to introduce my favorite holiday, which is the full harvest moon festival." "At that time, the highway is jammed because..."

    ReplyDelete